Where is Vine Street?

Where is Vine Street?

A reader asked where is/was Vine Street. His great great grandfather J.C. Quinn worked at St. Louis Saw Works at 116 and 118 Vine Street in the 1860s and 70s. His son W.D. Quinn started a saw shop in 1903 which is still in business today located in north St. Louis County. This advertisement is from 1867. The image is from the Northern Illinois University website which says the owning institution is the St. louis Mercantile Library.

When you search for Vine Street on Google Maps it doesn’t come up. You get Vine Ave which is near Gravois Rd in St. Louis County. Several streets were renamed over the years for various reasons in St. Louis, but this wasn’t one of them.

St. Louis Public Radio – German names return on some St. Louis streets a century after World War I

Urban Review StL – St. Louis’ Easton & Franklin Avenues Became Dr. Martin Luther King Drive 45 Years Ago Today

With clues like the age of the ad and the low number of the address, it must be near the riverfront. A place to look is Compton and Dry’s Pictorial St. Louis from 1876 (A handy Google-maps-esque stitching of the map). And there it is. Vine Street ran for four blocks from the riverfront to 4th street one block south of Washington Ave.

Note there’s a mistake to the south misidentifying Locust as Olive St.

The St. louis Saw Works would have been about where #21 is marked on the south side of Vine west of Main (1st) Street.

Riverfront parking lot 1953

Vine Street is long gone. It was destroyed along with the buildings for the clearance of the riverfront for something to be determined in a Depression-Era make-work project funded through a bond issue passed in a sham election in order to reduce the real estate supply. The area sat as a parking lot until the Arch and environs were built in the 1960s.

So the answer to the question, “Where is Vine Street?” It’s lost to the sands of time.

NextSTL – What “The Gateway Arch” by Tracy Campbell tells us about STt. Louis

National Building Arts Center – An Architectural Museum on the St. Louis Riverfront

WD Quinn Saw Co 2329 Olive c. 1940s
2329 Olive today. Hudson Chemical Company located facing Jefferson north of the alley owns all of the north side of 2300 Olive.


NextSTL is committed to providing original stories and unique perspectives on a variety of urban topics such as architecture, development, transportation, historic preservation, urban planning and design and public policy in St. Louis. We're always looking to add new, diverse voices to the mix. We accept anonymous tips, pitches for story ideas, and completed stories.

Learn More