A small, circa 1954 mid-century infill home located at 3855 McDonald in Tower Grove South has seen a vast transformation with a $125,000 second floor addition (by owners Charles Closser and John Simpson). The formerly one-story, 850 square foot home now clocks in at over 2,000 square feet with the addition of a second story. Its height and massing is now more similar to its early 20th Century neighboring structures.
Below is a before-and-after view:
The site is located within the Tower Grove Heights National Register Historic District, which offers rehabilitation incentives for qualified properties, but contains no regulations as to design standards for additions or new construction.